11.15.2011

Life in the ER

I've been thinking about what to write for this post, but I haven't yet had a day where I knew exactly what to write.  However, after last night, I will do my best to explain my job and everything that comes with it!

The ER is a bit crazy as a nurse all around.  The emotions that I have felt since I have started include:

Overwhelmed. Excited. Sad. Angry. Nervous. Adrenaline rush. Cold hearted. Encouraged. Welcomed. Loved. Appreciated. Bitter. Disappointed. Thankful.  

Everyday (or night in my case) there is something new and unexpected that I am learning and experiencing.  I have become like my mom in how I appreciate learning more and more.  I am a dork and love to learn about the body.  I like to know why things happen, what I need to do now and what the prognosis is for the patient.  Will this be short term?  Will this just be a temporary thing in their life or will this be something that will end up taking their life?

Last night was the most emotional night I have experienced.  We had a patient who had a serious illness to where we asked the wife to say her last words before we intubated her husband because he might not make it through.  This patient was around the same age as my own father and he's not very old!!!   The patient was completely fine an hour before he came in and a half hour into his ER visit, we had to tell his wife to say her potential last words to him (this is when I start crying as well).  However, I must keep doing my job, help stabilize her husband and transfer him as quickly as possible.  I told his wife that I would be praying for them and I hope and pray that they are doing okay.

On a happier note, there are things that I love about the ER.  I love that I still get a kid fix!  I will always try to win over the toddlers with a high five!  And it's not always easy since I'm the one poking around!

I love my new co-workers.  They have been more than supportive.  They get excited to see me when I come into work.  Three days into my orientation, my preceptor said that I would be just fine on my own if I needed to be.  I love some good encouragement.  The Lord has been very good.

We have a lot of funny stories as well.  We have seen some drunk college kids, one who almost urinated on my co-workers face; an Amish woman who was wearing a pink thong (Get. It. Girl.) and some drug seekers who think they can fool us, but they can't.  I just used the largest needle to give him his shot for "pain."

All in all, I like my job.  I am thankful that the Lord has provided me with this job.  I hope that my heart continues to break for these patients and families, yet I am able to be a strong nurse for them all.

I am thankful for my husband who I came home to crying this morning.  He is a wonderful listener and always tells me "you are such a good nurse."  I am thankful for my puppy who is awake with me into the middle of the night and keeps me company when I am home alone!  And lastly, I am thankful for my family.  Especially my wonderful parents and brother who have supported me in becoming a nurse!

I love being a nurse.  It is hard, but such a wonderful job.  I wouldn't trade it for any other job.



"They may forget your name but they will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

2 comments:

  1. Great post Liv! I don't think I could handle the emotional toll of your job. I admire you :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a terrific nurse. We are comforted knowing you're there in the ER should we ever need to visit. Especially knowing how good you are with kids. You have no idea how much that can improve a parent's experience.

    ReplyDelete